create reverse automatically from forward entries?
knot-resolver can already create reverse entries automatically, which is nice, but it only creates them following a specific pattern (i.e foo-$ip.example.org).
What would be super awesome.. is.. if knot would create matching reverse entries from forward records, like:
- iff there is only one A record pointing to a certain IP
- and the corresponding reverse zone is configured as to be 'automatic'
- then a PTR record could be added for that IP with entry of the A record.
- 'foo IN A 192.168.1.1' would be the only A record pointing to 192.168.1.1 within the example.org zone
- 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa would be configured to be "enabled for automatic PTRs" in knot.conf
- then '1 IN PTR foo.example.org.' would be created automatically.
yes, I can imagine a bunch of ways why this is not a good idea and how this could go wrong, however, for these specific cases where there's a 'simple' DNS setup, this would be so nice to not need to care about PTRs and keeping them 'in sync' with forward entries anymore.